Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Same clothes, different day



An embarrassing amount of times along this trip people have asked me why I don’t care about what I look like. This is probably because my clothing of choice is a tshirt, jeans, chuck taylors and always the same purple Patagonia sweatshirt. By this point, I have a pretty limited wardrobe. I began the trip with 2 huge suitcases, but in Venice I had to ditch half of my clothes and 1 suitcase so now I’m only down to one. That doesn’t give me a lot of variety and, as Randi Jones pointed out, in most of my pictures I’m in the same pink shirt. Mind you, I’m living on the same street as Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton; in the very richest part of Naples. But the truth is, I do care about what I look like, I just don’t care about what my clothes look like! My clothes don’t define me. Sure, its appropriate to look presentable and clean but I think its more important to smile, have a warm personality and look inviting than to have on fancy clothes that are tight and expensive. Even when I go out with my host family for dinner or on an outing and its necessary for me to dress-up a little, as soon as I get home I change back into my normal comfy clothes to go explore the city. I draw enough attention to myself by speaking English, skipping down the street, shamelessly taking selfies or pictures of random strangers so I don’t need to turn any more heads. I’m just doing the men of this world a favor and guarding hearts.



Also, clothes should be functional. I want my days to be filled with adventure. Stilettos and designer clothes are not made for adventures, unfortunately. How can you be the hands and feet of Jesus if you aren’t ready for action? 

I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. - 1 Timothy 2:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment